Global advances in technology are increasing the demand for skilled IT professionals at an exponential rate. IT jobs are predicted to grow by 531,200 by 2029 according to the BLS or Bureau of Labor Statistics
The world of technology is constantly evolving, and with it, the IT job market. With new innovations and advancements being introduced almost every day, both job seekers and organizations need to stay updated on the latest in-demand IT skills.
In this article, we will be discussing the top 9 “most in demand IT jobs” for 2023. We’ll delve into each of these positions, providing an insight into the necessary skills and experience required, as well as the average salaries associated with them.
Whether you’re a seasoned IT professional looking to switch jobs, a fresh graduate looking to break into the industry, or an organization planning to invest in top talent, this article will provide valuable information to help you stay ahead of the curve. So, let’s dive in and discover the “most in demand IT jobs in 2023”.
Top 9 Most In Demand IT Jobs for 2023
Overall employment in technology and information technology jobs is projected to grow by 14.6% from 2021 to 2031, much faster than the average for all other industries (5.3%); this increase is expected to result in about 682,800 new jobs demands over the decade.
1. Cloud Engineer
Cloud engineer is first among the most in demand it jobs so far, a cloud engineer is responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining cloud infrastructure and services. They use Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, etc. to build and manage such cloud-based systems. This involves the creation of cloud infrastructure, the design of cloud applications, and the implementation of cloud security protocols.
Cloud Engineer Salary Insights:
● USA: The starting salary for a Cloud Engineer in the 25th percentile is $102,500. ● India: The average salary for a Cloud Engineer is $7328.
Skills required as a cloud engineer:
● Experience with cloud infrastructure and services such as AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Platform. ● Knowledge of DevOps tools and methodologies. ● A working knowledge of scripting languages such as Python, PowerShell, and Bash. ● Familiarity with technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes that enable containerization.
2. Data Analyst
Data analysts play a critical role in an organization by analyzing large data sets and turning them into actionable insights. They use statistical methods and tools to uncover patterns and trends, identify opportunities for growth, and help businesses make informed decisions. With the ever-increasing amount of data generated by businesses and consumers, the rise of big data, and data-driven decision-making, the demand for skilled Data Analysts has never been higher making it the second most in demand it jobs of the list.
Data Analyst Salary Insights:
● USA: The starting salary for a Data Analyst in the 25th percentile is $90,500. ● India: The average salary for a Data Analyst is $6761 in India.
Skills required as a Data Analyst:
● A strong understanding of data structures and data analytics. ● Proficiency in data analysis tools like SQL, Excel, and Tableau ● Experience in specific programming languages such as Python and Java. ● Good understanding of statistics and data visualization tools.
3. DevOps Engineer
DevOps engineers manage the software development and deployment process, working closely with development teams, and ensuring smooth collaboration and communication between development, testing, and operations – bridging the gap between development and operations teams, and ensuring that software releases are seamless. They look after the design, build, and maintenance of infrastructure and systems required for continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD) of software products. DevOps Engineers also monitor and optimize system performance, troubleshoot issues, and automate processes to enhance productivity and efficiency.
With the rise of cloud computing and agile methodologies, the demand for DevOps engineers is expected to increase year-on-year according to Robert Half Technology’s 2023 IT salary report.
DevOps Engineer Salary Insights:
● USA: The starting salary for a DevOps Engineer in the 25th percentile is $108,250. ● India: The average salary for a DevOps Engineer is $8413 in India.
Skills required as a DevOps Engineer:
● Strong knowledge of software development and deployment methodologies. ● Working experience with cloud platforms like AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud. ● Proficiency in scripting languages like Python or Bash and coding languages such as Java, C++, etc. ● Experience in automation, continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD), and infrastructure management (on-prem/hybrid/cloud).
4. Data Scientist
Data scientists are experts in extracting insights from large datasets using statistical and machine learning techniques. They work closely with data analysts and business stakeholders to identify problems and opportunities, design and implement analytical models, and communicate insights in a clear and concise manner. With the increasing volume and complexity of data being generated every day and the growing importance of data-driven decision-making, the demand for skilled Data Scientists is expected to continue growing.
According to LiveAbout, Data science is a growing field. Apart from tech companies and startups, data scientists can also be seen across a wide range of industries.
Data Scientist Salary Insights:
● USA: The average base salary for Data Scientists is $96,116. It generally begins at $90,000 per year whereas senior data scientists make upwards of $150,000 per year, depending on their experience level and location. ● India: The average salary for a Data Scientist is $14526 in India.
Skills required as a Data Scientist:
● Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. ● Ability to apply statistical analysis methods and machine learning techniques to solve problems. ● Knowledge of data visualization tools and techniques. ● Knowledge of databases and data warehouses. ● Strong programming skills in programming languages Python and R. ● Familiarity with deep learning frameworks such as TensorFlow, Keras, and PyTorch.
5. Database Developer
Database Developers work closely with data architects, DBAs, and software developers to create efficient and secure data models, write complex queries, ensure data integrity and availability, optimize database performance, troubleshoot issues, and implement security measures to protect sensitive data. Practically, they look after the design, build, implementation, and maintenance of databases that are used to store, organize, and manage data that meet the needs of an organization.
These jobs are growing at a faster-than-average rate, with an expected 10% growth in jobs between 2019-2029, according to BLS data.
Database Developer Salary Insights:
● USA: The median pay for this job is $93,750 per year. ● India: The average salary for a Database Developer is $7623 in India.
Skills required as a Database Developer:
● Experience with programming languages like Python. ● Knowledge of data modeling, database design principles, SQL, and database administration. ● Strong knowledge of database management systems such as MySQL, Oracle, and SQL Server.
6. Cyber Security Engineer/Specialist
Cyber security engineers have to protect organizations and their digital assets from cyber threats by designing and implementing security measures and protocols by identifying and mitigating cybersecurity risks in an organization’s systems and networks. They work closely with IT teams and business stakeholders to conduct regular security audits, monitor networks for vulnerabilities and breaches, develop response plans in case of an attack, and ensure compliance with industry standards and regulations. Cyber Security Engineers also provide training and guidance to employees on best practices for information security.
Information security jobs are expected to grow much faster than average, according to the BLS, with an increase of 31% between 2019 and 2029.
● USA: The national average salary for a Cyber Security Engineer is $106,612 in the United States. ● India: Average Base Pay is $7785 per year for this role.
Skills required as a Cyber Security Engineer/Specialist:
● Knowledge of cybersecurity principles and technologies, incident response, and risk management. ● Strong knowledge of network security protocols and standards. ● Experience with security tools like firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and antivirus software. ● Understanding of regulatory compliance requirements like HIPAA or PCI-DSS.
7. UI/UX Designer
Designing the user interface and experience of websites, applications, and other digital products is what UI/UX Designers are responsible for, while working closely with cross-functional teams, including developers and product managers, to create user-centered designs that are visually appealing, easy-to-use, and that deliver seamless, intuitive, and engaging user experiences. UI/UX Designers use various tools and techniques to create wireframes, prototypes, and mockups that align with the organization’s brand and user needs.
The demand for UI/UX Designers is expected to increase by 18% between 2021 and 2031, as per Robert Half Technology’s 2023 IT salary report making it rank among the seventh position on the most in demand it jobs.
UI/UX Designer Salary Insights:
● USA: The average annual salary for a UI/UX Designer in the USA is $75,099. ● India: $6053 is the annual Average Base Pay for a UI/UX Designer in India.
Skills required as a UI/UX Designer:
● Strong knowledge of design principles and best practices. ● Proficiency in design tools like Sketch, Figma, and/or Adobe XD, etc. ● Understanding of user research and testing methodologies.
8. Business Intelligence (BI) Developer
Business Intelligence (BI) developers design, develop, and maintain systems and applications that support organizations in making data-driven decisions. Working alongside data analysts, database administrators, and software developers to create and optimize BI systems that extract insights from large datasets is equally vital in this role.
Business Intelligence (BI) Developer Salary Insights:
● USA: Business Intelligence Developers make an average of $98,314 in the States. ● India: The average salary for a Business Intelligence Developer is $8474 in India with a monthly pay ranging between $159 and $2694.
Skills required as a Business Intelligence (BI) Developer:
● Strong knowledge of SQL, data warehousing, and data modeling. ● Familiarity with BI tools such as Tableau, QlikView, and Power BI. ● Good understanding of data analytics and visualization. ● Strong problem-solving and analytical skills. ● Good communication and collaboration skills.
9. Artificial Intelligence Engineer
The demand for skilled professionals in artificial intelligence (AI) is high as AI continues to invade different aspects of our lives which makes it the ninth most in demand it jobs among the list. An AI specialist creates, designs, and implements intelligent systems, machines, and software programs that simulate human intelligence and decision-making. They design algorithms, statistical models, and machine learning systems that allow machines to learn and adapt independently.
Artificial Intelligence Engineer Salary Insights:
● According to Glassdoor, the average annual salary for an AI Engineer in the United States is $120,120 whereas in India it is $11707.
Skills required as a Artificial Intelligence Engineer:
● Knowledge of data analysis and machine learning algorithms. ● Knowledge of programming languages (Python, Java, C++, etc.). ● Familiarity with data mining, big data analytics, and natural language processing (NLP). ● Excellent problem-solving and analytical abilities, and good collaboration/teamwork capability.
Most in demand IT jobs- The current state of the IT job market & The future of IT: What does 2023 hold?
The world of IT is constantly evolving, and with it, the demand for skilled professionals continues to rise. As we look ahead to 2023, the IT job market is expected to experience a significant surge, with several positions anticipated to be in high demand. It is hence crucial for both job seekers and organizations to stay updated on the latest & most in demand IT jobs & skills. These positions offer competitive salaries and flexible work arrangements, and the demand for them is expected to rise 25% between 2021 and 2031 on average.
If you are looking to hire remote IT talent, get in touch with BorderlessMind today. Our team of IT experts will work with you to understand your unique needs and requirements and help you take your organization to new heights. Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can help you build a remote team of experts.